World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 150.6 million tonnes (Mt) in August 2022, a 3.0% decrease compared to August 2021.
Production (Mt)Growth (% y-on-y)Crude steel productionWorldROWChinaWorld (%)ROW (%)China (%)Mar-21May-21Jul-21Sep-21Nov-21Jan-22Mar-22May-22Jul-22050100150200-80-4004080worldsteel.org
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.3 Mt in August 2022, up 3.5% on August 2022. Asia and Oceania produced 112.6 Mt, down 0.2%. The EU (27) produced 9.7 Mt, down 13.3%. Europe, Other produced 3.6 Mt, down 18.6%. The Middle East produced 3.2 Mt, up 34.2%. North America produced 9.6 Mt, down 5.4%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 6.9 Mt, down 22.4%. South America produced 3.6 Mt, down 10.1%.
|Table 1. Crude steel production by region|
|Aug 2022 (Mt)||% change Aug 22/21||Jan-Aug
|% change Jan-Aug 22/21|
|Asia and Oceania||112.6||-0.2||925.1||-4.3|
|Russia & other CIS + Ukraine||6.9||-22.4||59.1||-18.2|
|Total 64 countries||150.6||-3.0||1,253.9||-5.1|
The 64 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2021. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Vietnam
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 83.9 Mt in August 2022, up 0.5% on August 2021. India produced 10.2 Mt, up 1.2%. Japan produced 7.3 Mt, down 7.4%. The United States produced 7.0 Mt, down 7.1%. Russia is estimated to have produced 5.9 Mt, down 5.5%. South Korea is estimated to have produced 6.1 Mt, down 0.4%. Germany produced 2.9 Mt, down 2.3%. Türkiye produced 2.8 Mt, down 21.0%. Brazil produced 2.8 Mt, down 11.3%. Iran produced 2.1 Mt, up 64.7%.
|Table 2. Top 10 steel-producing countries|
|Aug 2022 (Mt)||% change Aug 22/21||Jan-Aug 2022 (Mt)||% change Jan-Aug 22/21|
e – estimated. Ranking of top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate